As of Sept 17th, 2020, WIMS installs SQL 2012 Express (unless DB_Support is added to license). As SQL 2012 support ends in 2021, users may want to update to SQL 2019.
This will NOT violate your WIMS license agreement with Hach.
Before performing and upgrade you MUST backup your databases.
SQL 2019 requires Windows 10 or Server 2016 or later (please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/install/hardware-and-software-requirements-for-installing-sql-server-ver15 for more info).
Steps to perform an in-place upgrade of SQL 2012 to SQL 2019.
1. Go to microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads
2. Run the downloaded program (SQL2019-SSEI-Expr.exe). Choose Custom Install:
3. Set the folder to DBMS. (Note: Not sure this is required, this appears to be where the installation media gets placed???)
4. Choose Upgrade
5. Choose the SQL Instance that WIMS is using. Should default to OPSSQL:
7. Feature Rules will be checked. Note: you may get a warning on Database Compatibility which can be ignored. Click Next and the OPSSQL SQL 2012 instance will be updated to 2019.